Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tip #1: Use Technology in the Classroom



To launch our blog, we are posting ten of our best teaching tips...one a day for ten days running.  Tip number #1 is to incorporate technology.  When I graduated from high school, I was still typing my papers on a type writer. (Note: This not only indicates my age, but also that my family was a bit behind the times!)  So, it's probably no surprise that when I started teaching, using technology meant turning on the overhead and playing an occasional movie or cassette tape.  I have found, though, that using technology (especially the latest web 2.0 tools) is essential.  No where has this been more true than with my most disengaged students.  So, if you are shy about technology or looking for a way to hook that one kid or one class that doesn't seem to like anything that has to do with school, check out these sites:

Creating a webpage--www.wikispaces.com--students can sign up and create a webpage individually or collaboratively.  It is free and easy to use.  I have students post their work on the site and link their page to mine so I can see their work as well as allow them to see each other's.

Creating a super cool online power point presentation--www.prezi.com--another free website that allows students to create amped up power point presentations.  It is funky and professional and user friendly and fun all at the same time.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...